Mihaela Vujnovic was born in 1989 in Croatia. She grew up in Belgrade, where she graduated from the Faculty of Fine Arts. Afterward, she moved to France to pursue her master's degree at the Ecole Nationale Superieure d'Art de Nancy in the class of professor Etienne Pressager. In 2015, she received another MA degree from the Faculty of Fine Arts in Belgrade. She is currently living and working in Leipzig in Germany.
She focuses in her practice mainly on paintings and drawings, but also incorporates in her work other media such as sculpture and installation. Relying on the power of abstraction, her work draws from the complexity of personal experience and her emotional and physical responses to it. Giving a visual form to her own memory, which is marked by a feeling of displacement, in her work, space and concrete places cease to be a constant value, but rather dissolve, disperse and merge, thus establishing a new and unrecognizable place – a place whose only border is colour, whose only history is memory, and whose only archeology is a multitude of layers of colour.
- 2018 Freedom is Reached!, Gallery HINTEN, Chemnitz, Germany
- 2017 All in place, SKUC, Pula, Croatia
- 2016 Come Closer to See Nothing, Belgrade Youth Centre, Serbia
- 2015 Action ou Vérité?, Gallery NaMiMa, Nancy, France. A group show featuring selected art students who graduated in 2014 at ENSAN in France. Participants: Juliette Ancé, Hélène Bleys, Jeannie Brie, Alma Bucciali, Damien Gete, Kirsty Grascha, Remi Illig, Camille Michel, Hugo Lermechin, Mihaela Vujnovic et Xi Zijian.
- 2013 Zeichnen, zeichnen, toujours, toujours, Regionale 13, Mulhouse, France. Group show of the selected art students from the art academies in Strasbourg, Metz, Nancy and Mulhouse.
Membership of Art Societies
VG Bild-Kunst, Bonn, Berlin, DE
Leipzig Annual Exhibition, Leipzig, DE
KV – Association for Contemporary Art in Leipzig, DE
ULUS, Association of Fine Artists of Serbia, SRB
Scholarships and Awards
- 2021 Working Scholarship, NEUSTART KULTUR Programme by Fine Art Cultural Foundation, Federal Commissioner for Culture and Media, DE
- 2020 Working grant, Denkzeit, Cultural Foundation of the Free State of Saxony, DE
- 2013 – 2014 Scholarship, Dositeja, Fund for Young Talents, The Ministry of Youth and Sport, SRB
- 2010 – 2013 Scholarship of the Fund for Young Talents of the Municipality of Savski Venac, SRB
- 2013 Art Ambassador, UNESCO Club Sorbonne, Paris, FR
- 2007 A Letter of Thanks from the City of Belgrade, Belgrade, SRB
- 2021 Kruparart, Subotica, SRB
- 2018 Edition Bucciali – Printmaking Workshop and Gallery, Colmar, FR
- 2018 Gallery Hinten, DE
- 2017 The Art Colony of Jalovik, SRB
- 2013 Experimental Art Centre, Florence, IT